Monday, February 26, 2007

Bwana, the Story Collector


Ever find yourself doing something that you just never thought you had the gift to do? God often surprises us by slipping in those challenges when we least expect them and then gives us the ability to accomplish them.

Recently I, Tammy, was asked to lead the elementary portion of the daily chapels for Spiritual Emphasis Week at Josh's school (International Christian School of Budapest). I had never entertained such an idea but with encouragement from Ralph and inspiration from a series of children's sermons of my brother-in-law, Tom Stocks, I accepted the challenge.

Using the 1956 published book, Jungle Doctor's Monkey Tales by Paul White, I told stories of monkey life that had a Christian theme or lesson to learn. I arranged the setting with plants and other items, played African music as the 1-5 graders filed in and out each day (their favorite was "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"), and dressed the part of Bwana, the Story Collector. Each day we jumped around, scratched, picked ju-jus (made up word for why monkeys scratch), made monkey noises, and had a great time. I like to think the kids learned a thing or two as well.

It was a fun time for me and a confirmation that God isn't finished with me yet! I can only imagine what other surprises He will call me to...

No comments: