Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Gypsy Camp?



















Halloween is a fun time to dress up. I recently used it as an opportunity to teach about Roma stereotypes. Our new church home, Emerywood Baptist Church, had a "trunk or treat" - a new cultural experience for us I might add. I dressed in a costume and decorated the back of my car in ways that people stereotypically think Roma (Gypsies) dress. I gave out gold (filled with chocolate) coins - don't people think Gypsies believe gold brings you good luck? It gave me opportunities to explain Roma are really not like this. Well, it gave me the chance to explain it to a few people. I quickly learned the kids were just concerned about getting their candy and moving on to the next trunk. :) It was a fun cultural learning experience for me.

No comments: