Friday, May 6, 2011

English Club

I often say, "We speak it but we don't teach it."   One of the ladies in our building stopped me recently and asked me if I'd tutor her teenage son in English.  This is a regular occurrence and comical to me - the one with the southern accent and dropped last syllables.  English is a very popular choice for students for their foreign language requirement and they want to practice with native English speakers.

Ralph and I wanted more contact with the Ruth School students and wanted to be a part of the new after-school programs Project Ruth is offering.  We started the English Club for 7th and 8th graders.  So far it has been a fun time of games and English practice.  The kids are usually wound up and ready to release some energy after being in class all day.  So we plan activities that keep them up and moving.  It's been a challenge but one we are enjoying. 

No comments: