Friday, November 12, 2010

Meeting Missionaries in the 21st Century

In the days when I grew up studying missions we mostly read about missionaries in our study books. If we were very lucky we might meet a missionary at an associational or state meeting. I clearly remember a slide I saw of grub worms and the missionaries describing how they were a delicacy in the African country where they served. (Side note: I remember thinking "Not for me! Ever!" Look at me now.) It was so exciting to hear their stories and ask them questions. It had a big impact on my life.

Fast forward in time to last Wednesday night in Edenton, NC. Kelly Rhodes, associate minister at First Baptist Church, gathered her group of 8-12 year olds around her lap top. At the designated time she called us on SKYPE. (I will add it was 7PM in NC but 2AM in Romania. We are committed to growing the next generation of believers!) Through the miracle of the internet we were able to see the kids and they us. They listened to our story and then asked questions. It was fun to hear of their interest in what life is like in Romania and Hungary and what life is like for Roma kids their age.

The formats change but the message is still the same: "...You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and Samaria and to the ends of the earth" Acts 1:7

No comments: