Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mom & Me Girls In Action Weekend


I grew up in a traditional Southern Baptist Church learning about missions and missionaries through the GAs. That stood for Girl's Auxiliary when I was young but today it stands for Girls In Action. I credit this program for giving me my first glimpse of missions and sparking an interest in all things "foreign".

This past weekend I was privileged to be one of the missionary speakers at the Virginia WMU's annual Mom & Me weekend. Nearly 1000 GAs in grades 1-5 came with their moms to have a great time and learn about missions. The theme was Magnificent Moldova, the offering collected will be sent to the Ruth School for Gypsy children in Romania, and the mission action project was to bring school items for native American Indian children on the Sioux reservations in North/South Dakota. The weekend was full.

I spoke 10 times in three days telling the girls about Romany (Gypsies) and helping them see through slides what their life is like. I used many pictures of life for the children so the girls could imagine what it would be like if they were there. I had a great time being there.

I met the sisters and mother of Pedro, one of the young men who came with the Virginia Latino Youth team last summer. I met young girls who say they pray for the Romany during their meeting time. I heard from many that participate in the Samaritan's Purse Christmas Shoebox program. We receive those boxes in Hungary. I became acquainted with a staff and volunteers that worked tirelessly to make this a memorable weekend for the girls and their moms.

It was my privilege to be a part of it all. Thank you WMU of Virginia!

No comments: