Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Starbucks Arrives...

It's true. This week the first Starbucks will open at the West End Mall (the largest shopping mall in central Europe). Hungarians are coffee drinkers, as evidenced by the cafes scattered on just about every street corner. I think they will enjoy this new experience, if the prices are not too high. We shall see. Although I admit I'm not sure how I feel about it. Do we need yet another American chain influence? I like the European feel of living in Europe and am not fond of the American culture being imported so overwhelmingly (McD's is everywhere!). If the Hungarians choose to support it though, I guess that's a sign they want it and that's what matters.

Another random thought: We've lived in Hungary for over 15 years and just this week I drove an automatic car for the first time since moving here! We've borrowed a van for the summer to help transport our Student.GO team and it was a bit strange to drive without a clutch. Standard drive cars are the norm here. I found myself looking for the clutch several times.

Progress...

(picture courtesy of my friend, Shay Brannon)

No comments: